Welcome to the Counseling & Advisement Department!
Counselors, Clayton Henke and Taylor White, would like to invite all parents and students to discuss Professional Growth Plans , the five schools of study and career information for their children. Please do not hesitate to contact Shirley Chalmers, Counseling Secretary, for more information at 821-2307.
About Pelion Middle School Counseling & Advisement
The Pelion Middle School counselors in partnership with Lexington District One, Pelion Middle faculty and staff, students, and community stakeholders create a data driven, comprehensive, counseling program whereby exemplary academic, career, and emotional/social learning opportunities provide all students to be productive and successful 21st century life – long leaders.
Every Pelion Middle School student participates in a high quality, caring environment where students are creative, competitive 21st century self-directed learners who are prepared for college and/or career opportunities in our global world.
Statement of Beliefs:
The counselors at Pelion Middle believe-
• All students will achieve and be prepared for college, school to work and career opportunities in our global society when providing and implementing goal-oriented, high quality standards for 21st century leaders.
• All students’ needs regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, religion and academic abilities will be included in developmentally appropriate counseling services.
• School counselors advocate for students to attain their utmost potential in areas of academic achievement, personal growth and social domains.
• All students participate in high quality comprehensive counseling program in a caring environment developed, implemented, managed and evaluated by certified school counselors.
• School counselors examine disaggregated student and school data to define the needs of the school’s population.
• The school counselors are highly proficient certified professionals that collaborate with all stakeholders and abide by the American School Counselor Association and Palmetto State School Counselor Association ethical standards and guidelines.
SCHOOL COUNSELING SERVICES
The Pelion Middle School Counseling Department is aligned with the American School Counseling Association Model. Students at Pelion Middle will be served in the areas of social/emotional, academic, and/ or career needs. The school counseling staff provides opportunities such as individual counseling, small groups, classroom delivery, and collaboration. The opportunities help students develop some of the important life- long learning skills for the 21st century. Creativity, cooperation, communication, and critical thinking are skills interwoven in the comprehensive school counseling program. In accordance with the ethical standards of the American School Counseling Association model, student’s confidentiality will be maintained between counselor and student except in cases of imminent danger. The counselor will make a professional decision regarding what constitutes imminent danger. Appropriate persons/agencies will be notified if there is imminent danger to the student or another individual or if there is a suspicion of child abuse or neglect.